Historic US 6 is the longest highway ever created in the United States. It stretches 3,652 miles from Provincetown, Massachusetts to Long Beach, California.
The Iowa Division of the Route 6 Tourist Association was formed in April of 2008 with the following goals:
- To educate public about history and original route of Highway 6, using maps, old and new photos, post cards, and travel brochures.
- To increase awareness, traffic, and commerce in the cities, towns, and businesses along original route 6.
- To place historical signage designating Historic Route 6, along with the River to River Road, and the Great White Way auto trails.
- Encourage cooperation of communities along Highway 6, to hold festivals, concerts, car shows, garage sales, etc, to boost tourism.
- Encourage car clubs, bicycle clubs, and others to hold River to River cruises along highway 6 in cooperation with local communities and businesses, i.e., motels, gas stations, and restaurants.
- Preserve historical buildings, bridges, and alignments of/along Route 6.
The Executive Director is David Darby